NYC Family Lawyer Services
Resilient Legal Advocacy THROUGHOUT MANHATTAN, BROOKLYN, THE BRONX, QUEENS, & STATEN ISLAND
Issues of family law are often emotionally challenging and difficult to navigate. When your family becomes entangled in a complex legal issue, you will likely need skilled and empathetic family law attorneys in NYC to bring your case to a swift and favorable conclusion.
At Roven Law Group, P.C., we have over 35 years of legal experience and understand what is at stake. Our NYC family lawyers know how to effectively advocate for our clients, both at the negotiation table and in the courtroom. No matter the nature or intensity of the situation, our NYC family law team will remain level-headed and provide you with the supportive guidance you need to efficiently navigate the legal process and fight for the desired outcome.
“I would highly recommend them for any legal matters.”- Carlos P.
“She navigated the process with clarity and confidence and was a great & fair advocate for me.”- Judy Y.
“I would highly recommend them for any legal matters.”- Jennifer R.
“Roven Law group did an excellent job...”- Jen O.
“I recommend them wholeheartedly.”- Ching L.
Janice Roven has been practicing law for more than 35 years. She is one of the few women lawyers in New York State with a Master’s Degree in Litigation, which she obtained at Emory University School of Law. She previously earned her law degree from Emory and completed the National Institute of Trial Advocacy Program. Janice is admitted to practice law in New York, New Jersey and Georgia, as well as before the Supreme Court of the United States. She graduated with Honors in Political Science from Barnard College, Columbia University.
For decades, our team at Roven Law Group, P.C. has represented clients in matters involving a wide spectrum of family law issues. We understand that every family is different and each conflict will require a tailored approach. When you come to us for help, we will carefully review your circumstances, advise how we can help, and work closely with you to develop a strategy to obtain the results your family needs to move forward.
Our Manhattan family lawyer services include assistance with:
- Child Custody and Visitation. “Physical custody” refers to where a child lives, while “legal custody” refers to decision-making power over how a child is raised. In New York, a judge will generally attempt to give legal custody rights to each parent. A judge can award sole physical custody to a single parent or joint physical custody. A parent is almost always entitled to some level of visitation, even if the other parent has been awarded sole physical custody. A judge will consider numerous factors when making custody and visitation decisions. First and foremost, they will prioritize the “best interests” of the child. Our team understands how these matters are adjudicated and can fight for you in a custody battle. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances, we can also help you seek a modification to an existing custody arrangement.
- Spousal Support. When a divorce occurs, one partner – generally the one who earns less – may request monetary relief in the form of spousal maintenance. Spousal maintenance can be awarded to both men and women, and most orders will call for support over a predetermined number of years. New York judges consider a variety of factors when deciding whether to award spousal maintenance, including the length of the marriage, the incomes of each party, the anticipated earning capacities of each party, and the financial impact of children, among other things. Spousal maintenance orders can also potentially be modified if the current arrangement becomes untenable due to a substantial change in circumstances. Our family lawyers in NYC can help you seek a fair and reasonable maintenance arrangement, and we can also work to modify orders that are no longer sustainable.
- Child Support. In any divorce, both parents will be expected to continue supporting the financial, medical, and education needs of their children. To that end, one parent may be obligated to pay child support to the other parent. The amount of these support payments can be difficult to calculate in advance, but is typically tied to each parent’s available resources, as well as the parents’ combined income. Our NYC family law attorneys will do everything possible to secure a just arrangement that supports the ongoing needs of your child or children. We can also help you explore adjustments to your child support order if your circumstances change.
- Divorce Proceedings. Any contested divorce will be emotionally and legally challenging. It is often wise to consider the potential outcomes of a divorce so you can approach with the best possible strategy. You will need to consider the grounds for divorce, the impact of any prenuptial agreements, potential custody arrangements, and what types of property may be subject to division. We can help you avoid common mistakes and will serve as your guide and advocate every step of the way.
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements. A prenuptial agreement sets enforceable terms for what will happen if a couple divorces. A postnuptial agreement is a type of nuptial agreement that is executed after the marriage has already begun. These agreements can dramatically expedite the divorce process and are often used when spouses value privacy, wish to protect their independent careers, or have a large disparity in wealth and income. Many couples use these contracts to proactively address property division, business interests, and spousal maintenance. Our NYC family lawyers can prepare and review agreements that reflect your goals. If you are considering filing for a divorce, we can also analyze any prenuptial agreement you have signed and determine if its provisions are enforceable.
- Domestic Violence and Orders of Protection. If you and your children are being subject to violence or the threat of violence by your current or former spouse, it is likely in your best interest to seek an order of protection. This court order can force an abusive person to stay away from you or your loved ones. It can also require them to relinquish firearms, pay child support, and cease most contact, depending on the circumstances. Issues of domestic violence are taken extremely seriously by New York family courts and can significantly impact any ongoing divorce proceedings. We can help you seek an order of protection and represent you in subsequent hearings.
- Equitable Distribution. In a New York divorce, your property will be considered “separate” or “marital.” Separate property includes lifetime gifts to one partner, inheritances, and any assets procured before the marriage began or after it ended. Marital property includes any assets acquired during the marriage – including income – regardless of who ostensibly “owns” the property on any applicable title documents. Marital property is subject to “equitable distribution,” meaning it will be divided between the divorcing parties based on what a judge believes to be fair. Our NYC family law attorneys can advocate for you throughout the equitable distribution process.
- Enforcement of Court Orders. At the conclusion of a divorce, you and your ex-spouse must respect the terms of any custody, visitation, spousal support, child support, and property division orders. If your ex-spouse refuses to honor any of these terms, enforcement may become necessary. We can help you address and resolve any issues of settlement compliance.
- Parental Alienation and Relocations. Parental alienation occurs when one parent attempts to manipulate their child into hating the other parent. This can be common during the divorce process, especially if the child’s preferences may be crucial in deciding a contentious custody battle. Parental alienation is unacceptable conduct and can result in serious consequences, including the relocation of the child and a modification to existing custody arrangements. If you believe you may be a victim of parental alienation, we can walk you through your legal options.
- Fathers’, Mothers’, and Grandparents’ Rights. Our NYC family lawyers are dedicated to championing the rights of parents and grandparents. No matter your circumstances, we will help you gain the access to your children and grandchildren that you are legally entitled to.